Waiting for surgery date. Again.

I’ve spent a lot of time waiting for my Cochlear surgery to be scheduled this year. Ok, scratch that. I’ve spent the whole year waiting for the surgery to be scheduled. So it’s just a little ironic that I find myself doing it again. Waiting.

Friday was a rough day for me. I wrote about Friday in the moments when my emotions were waring with me, but I’ve never been one of those people to show my emotions on my sleeve or to let them rule the roost, so to speak. So it goes without saying that by Saturday, I was able to logically put things into perspective.

So what really happened on Friday? I’ll dish details.

My husband got a phone call at around 3pm on Friday from my caseworker at DARS (the state program funding my surgery). She frantically told him that I should not go in on Monday for surgery because it had not been approved for funding. Obviously our first thoughts were, what on earth is going on?

Last week my ENT’s office did a CT scan on me to see why my implant magnet wasn’t connecting to the processor magnet. My ENT gave several reasons for why it didn’t connect, and scheduled my surgery for today to fix the problem. The paperwork the ENT’s office send to DARS was my ENT’s notes that my scalp would be shaved slightly to fix the problem. However, my caseworker informed us that her office received my ENT’s notes only and didn’t even get a copy of the CT scan. Aaaand she didn’t even get the ENT’s notes until 3pm Friday, just before calling my husband.

It’s only natural that DARS would like a copy of the CT scan for records, but DARS is going beyond that and wants a different medical examiner, whom they use frequently, to look over the scan and confirm that my ENT’s notes are what in fact needs to be done.

When I first thought that the surgery was canceled for paperwork, I had no idea that all this had happened. About a month ago I had a caseworker at DARS who didn’t give a flip about my best interests, never returned calls, emails, etc, but I’m very glad that my current caseworker is different. She’s getting an outside opinion about my CT scan, checking to be sure that this second surgery will fix the problem without fail. I’m sure part of it has to do with the fact that DARS doesn’t want to pay for the surgery if my doctor screwed up and is covering his rear, and it’s likely that isn’t the case, but I know it’s a good thing that DARS is willing to pay another guy to look over the scans and keep everyone honest. I’m grateful for that.

So today we’re waiting on the medical examiner. He’s supposed to be checking the CT scan today and we should hear from my caseworker by the end of the day to know if my surgery has been rescheduled (assuming everything checked out with the medical examiner) or if we have other things to worry about. Personally, I’m certain everything will pass inspection and work out. Any bridges beyond that won’t be crossed until I get there.


6 responses to this post.

  1. Be stong! Good luck!


  2. Oh, that sounds promising!


  3. Posted by suenndy on November 1, 2010 at 5:24 pm

    Im sure our Prayers and yours will be answered in a positive way. Just stay strong.


  4. Posted by Jill on November 1, 2010 at 8:59 pm

    Two of my 4 children have cochlear implants. The only thing I can tell you is this…don’t let anybody push you around. You know what’s best for you, so that is what needs to be done. If you feel like it should be replaced, then replace it. You are your own best advocate. If you don’t feel you need to wait for surgery, then tell DARS and everybody else that you have surgery scheduled and they need to get their stuff done before you go into surgery — otherwise, you’ll take it as a sign of commitment. Please let me know if you would like help advocating (sometimes it’s hard when you are so close to it). I’m happy to help.


    • Thank you! My husband has become a pretty strong advocate because in the last month with all this. But with my new caseworker, he talked to her again today, she seems to be really trying to get everything together quickly. We should know this week what will happen, and I’ll be sure to post.


  5. […] week my caseworker sent my file and CT scans to DARS’ medical examiner to approve my second surgery for my Cochlear implant, and we haven’t heard from her this week yet. I hate to harass […]


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: